Unfortunately, I may no longer be able to use that statistic. In other words, your body’s cell count is regularly poised to overtake the bacteria—and sometimes it does, depending on how recently you rid yourself of a few trillion via a bowel movement. This is where the reference man comes in - narrowing down the sex, age, weight, and height of a hypothetical human made it a whole lot easier for the reviewers to figure out what the average number of human cells would be. When people ask me what the microbiome is, part of my answer usually includes the fact that there are 10 times as many bacteria in the body as human cells in the body. Thanks for the A2A. You body is free of microbes inside. Wiki User 2015-10-29 01:57:39. Many microscopic bugs and bacteria live on our skin and within our various nooks and crannies. I really doubt such a calculation would be accurately possible with any known statistical methods . Scientists have come a long way in estimating the number of cells in the average human body. That would. A recent study out of the Weizmann Institute in Israel states that the number of bacteria may actually be very similar to the number of human cells in the body.

If your question is "How many DIFFERENT TYPES OF things live on the human body", I am not sure of the exact count of diversity. Microbes in the human body According to a recent National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimate, 90% of cells in the human body are bacterial, fungal, or otherwise non-human. Humans are complex organisms made up of trillions of cells, each with their own structure and function. How many organisms are in the human body? For their reference man, it's about 30 trillion, the researchers estimate. be inside the cavity that contains the heart, lungs and the outside. Almost anywhere on (or even within) the human body can be home to these enterprising bugs.